Monday, March 05, 2007

Recommended Reading

I have been meaning for some time to share with you some of the great books I have read over the last few months. Reading has become something I try to do more and more and have become so interested in learning about what ever I can. Since this the theme of this blog is current events and social issues, I will post books pertaining to those subjects. If you would like I have been also reading a lot about poker, dog psychology, and non-verbal communication. Like I said, I love to read.

The first book, by Larry Elder, has to do with many of the social issues we face today including: black racism, white condescension, the glass ceiling, gun control, and welfare. This book is written from, in my opinion, a libertarian point of view. For someone who is anti-conservative, this is still a great book to read as Larry Elder is by no means, a right-wing nut. In all honesty, this book has had the greatest impact on my personal beliefs of any book I have read. I highly recommend it.

“America Alone” tackles the issues we face in dealing with radical Islam. Mark Steyn does a great job in using demographics to hypothesize as to why we really are alone in this fight. I will admit, this is more “right-wing” that the first, but again, is by no means “out there”. It is a really well written book full of factual and easily verifiable information. If you take the time to look up what he talks about, you will be scared, or at least concerned.

“Who really cares” examines America’s charitable practices and used a wealth (no pun intended) of surveys to determine who gives and who does not. The results, I guarantee will surprise you. Again, this is a really great book, which includes many of the surveys in the appendix of the book. The results and conclusions are based on facts easily verifiable and not on speculation and rhetoric.

I already have generated a very long list of books I intend on reading in the near future, so look for more recommendations to come.

Happy Reading!

No comments: