Friday, June 29, 2007

Who needs the first amendment anyways?

John Gibson of FOX News has the best take on the proposed reissuing of the fairness doctrine I have read to date. I am a firm believer in the United States constitution and to me the first amendment is the mother of all amendments. It is what keeps us from becoming communist China, Cuba, or Venezuela. Any attempt to limit it by anyone, conservative or liberal, is just plane grotesque. This is why I am extremely annoyed at the many democrats, and yes even a few republicans, who are trying to silence their critics by reissuing the fairness doctrine.

If your policies cannot hold up to public debate, then how good of a policy do you honestly think it is?

If you still decide to implement this doctrine, then you best be prepared to apply it to all media and to all opinions. If you do not, then you are no better than Mao, Castro, Stalin, and Chavez, just to name a few.

Let us keep free speech free. I may not enjoy everything I hear people say, but I will always defend their right to say it. It is the American way, it is my way.

No comments: