Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Haven’t we been down this road before?

Tell me if this sounds familiar.

Iran has recently blocked several IAEA inspectors from entering the country as ordered by the United Nations. Iran repeatedly has rejected calls by the United Nations to halt its nuclear program. Iran has laughed at the threat of sanctions imposed by the United Nations, however watered down they are. Iran has time and time again spoken of the desire of wiping Israel off the map, much to the dismay of the United Nations.

Sounds a little like Iraq in the 1990’s to me.

What is the Democrat plan?

Do Nothing!

Now it really sounds like the 1990’s again.

Here we have a country that openly wants nuclear weapons, openly wants to use them against another country, and more importantly, does not care what the repercussions would be.

This is a really dangerous situation that has the potential of costing a lot of lives if it is not acted upon soon. I would prefer that the United States not have to get involved, but that would require someone else stepping up and taking charge. I do not see that happening anytime soon. The United Nations has become such a useless body that lacks the spine to confront anything. I may be mistaken, but I believe the UN passed a dozen or so resolutions on Iraq which Saddam ignored every time. Why are we to believe it is going to be any different this time?

Here is what I think could happen.

A) The UN does nothing. Iran gets nukes. Attacks Israel. We get involved. Many die.
B) The UN does nothing. Iran test fires a weapon. Not wanting to wait for an attack on them, Israel launches a preemptive attack wiping out Iran’s nuclear capability. Many die, but not as many as option A.
C) The UN does nothing. The United States launches an air/sea attack on Iran to wipe out its nuclear capability. The world starts wining how evil the United States is, but secretly appreciates that we did something. Many Iranians close to the targets will die, but not as many as options A or B.

My best guess at what is most likely to occur is option C. What do you think will happen or what should the U.S. or UN do?

2 comments:

rageear said...

Yes, Iran is acting badly. No, I do not support Iran having nuclear weapons. However, if you read the first article in its entirety, there is a quote from Mark Fitzpatrick, an Iran expert at the International Institute for Strategic Studies.

"The IAEA has about 200 inspectors it could send to Iran, so stopping 38 of them will not impede its ability to carry out inspections, at least in the short term," he said. The move "demonstrates Iran's unwillingness to accept the U.N. Security Council mandate that it suspend enrichment."

It seems like this move is just typical posturing from Iran. Eventually, the IAEA inspectors should make their way into the country.

Additionally, the Breitbart.com article doesn't even mention the barred IAEA inspectors, so claiming that the Dems aren't going to do anything about it is premature and potentially false. Sure, the article covers the Dems plans to not attack Iran, but that does not mean they are going to do nothing.

I think military action against Iran should be a last resort, not the first response. We certainly don't need more troops deployed in a quagmire in the Middle East.

Mike said...

When I formulate my opinions on various subjects, I try to look at things from a bigger picture point of view. I try to incorporate history as well as general trends in behavior. You are correct when you say Iran is posturing. Right now they are not blocking IAEA inspectors, but if you look back at how Saddam handled things, he toyed with the IAEA, allowing inspectors in only to send them out, blocking them entirely, and saying they will cooperate then not. Now I see Iran doing the same exact thing and I see the UN responding the same exact way. We all know how the Iraq weapons of mass destruction story turned out and I do not want to see that same thing happening again.

My beef with the Democrats is that by taking the public stand against any potential use of force against Iran, I feel they are essentially telling Iran, that no matter what they do, we will not react. No matter how you feel about the use of force, it must be kept on the table as an option, the last option, but an option none the less. Iran is watching what we are doing. If they see weakness, they will pounce. One of my new favorite Muslim Proverbs says it best: “A falling camel attracts many knives”.

My question to you is, do you honestly believe the Democrats have a plan to handle Iran? Regardless of how you feel about the Republican plans, can you honestly say to me that the Democrats have a plan of their own? I do not think so. Having a plan means standing behind something that could fail. That means opening yourself up to criticism. And after all, a falling camel attracts many knives!!!


Getting back to Iran, there is a part of me that believes Iran at its word. That they want to destroy Israel, the United States, and England. However, there is another part of me that believes Iran may be bluffing to induce an attack by the United States in the future. Imagine what would happen if Iran provoked us to the point we attacked. Now imagine if it turned out that Iran never had WMD’s at all or never actually tried to get them. It would be a HUGE embarrassment to the United States and would further weaken our world standing. This is something Iran does want. Granted this is just me thinking out loud.

As much as I am a proponent of preemptive warfare, I think this is not a wise idea with respect to Iran. There is growing dissent among the citizens of Iran that Armadidawackjob is too extreme and is weakening the country. Several high power clerics have also begun speaking out against him. Many of his supporters also lost big in the recently elections. So I think we ought to exploit this to out benefit. How, I do not know. I think this is a case where clever diplomacy can work. We will see.