Thursday, January 04, 2007

A new way in Iraq?

President Bush is expected to outline a new Iraq strategy to us sometime next week. I would like to make a prediction that whatever he says, some, and I repeat some in the media and in the government are going to viscously attack whatever he says. Bush haters are going to due what they are going to do and there is nothing anyone can do to stop them. But like the President or not, agree with him or not, the vile filth that some put out towards him is both morally wrong and destructive to our efforts. For the record, I disagree with the way the war was run, however, I do want us to win and I think that those in our great country who are rooting for the US to lose, walk a dangerous line.

So I am extremely interested in what our new strategy is going to be. News reports suggest a temporary increase in the number of troops. I am for this if the key word is temporary. The situation needs to be stabilized and if it takes more troops to do it fine, but if more troops mean more targets for insurgents, then I say get them out. I also think economic incentives will be effective if you can provide people with jobs, as I believe they would be less likely to commit acts of violence. We also need to speed up the training if the Iraqi army and police. But most important, we need to put the maximum amount of pressure on the Iraq government to control their own destiny.

I am going to put myself out there and make a personal stance. I say, as many other people do, including FOX NEWS, that Iraq pretty much has six or so more months to get their act in order. If by the end of the summer, there is no progress in Iraq, I will take the position that we need to get out. However, I will never subscribe to the BUSH SUCKS! mantra or root for us to loose. But there does come a time when you have to say enough is enough.

There is an old saying: "You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink”. We have lead Iraq to the prospects of democracy and peace, it is now up to them to decide if they want to take a sip.

No comments: